What’s the Difference Between Solid Surface and Quartz Countertops?

The sheer number of decisions you have to make during a home improvement project can be overwhelming. We’re here to help alleviate some of the stress by breaking down the differences between solid surface and quartz countertops. That way, you can make an informed decision about which option is right for you.

Quartz Countertops

These classy, modern counters are made of engineered stone. This just means that, unlike granite, the stone isn’t naturally occurring. Up to 90 per cent of its composition is a combination of different minerals, with the remaining 10 per cent being made up of a resin-based binding agent. Quartz looks similar to granite, but its colour tends to be more consistent.

Solid Surface Countertops

This type of countertop is made by combining different minerals with acrylics or polymers. Its appearance is less elegant than that of quartz, but it’s easily customizable, meaning that it’s still a stylish addition to your interior design. One advantage it has, however, is that it requires very little maintenance to remain in good shape.

Durability

Quartz has an edge over solid surface in terms of durability. It’s extremely difficult to scratch or chip quartz countertops. Solid surface is still pretty resilient, but you’ll find that it’s more easily damaged than quartz.

Quartz is also more heat-resistant than solid surface. However, it’s still smart to take precautions, since prolonged exposure to high temperatures will ultimately shorten its lifespan.

Affordability

If you’re looking for the most cost-effective option, solid surface is the way to go. Quartz is slightly more expensive.

Installation

Regardless of which option you choose, it’s always a good idea to have your new countertops installed by a professional. Solid surface countertops are easier to install but, even then, trying to take on the project yourself could lead to unforeseen roadblocks or problems with installation. Entrusting the task to a professional guarantees that the job will be done right the first time.

Solid Surface and Quartz Countertops in Edmonton, Alberta

If you’re redoing your home’s countertops, PF Custom Countertops is your one-stop shop for all of your needs. With top-of-the-line brands like Corian and Caesarstone on hand you’re sure to be satisfied with your new countertops, whether you opt for quartz or solid surface. Contact our Edmonton office today for a free estimate or drop by our show room to see what we have available.

0 0