What are the Most Popular Types of Countertops for Kitchens Today?
Trends come and go in the kitchen just as much as fashion. When it comes to countertops, one day it is all about Formica, while the next day, everyone is raving about granite.
While trends are important, so is durability and reputation. You want a kitchen countertop that can hold up to daily abuse – and, if you think of how much use your countertops get already, you can see why. Most of the popular countertops sold today are durable, and most will add good value. By understanding the various types, including granite and natural stone countertops, you can then pick one that suits your budget and kitchen design needs.
A Review of the Top Kitchen Countertop Options
To help you narrow down your choices, we have a list of the most popular countertops sold today. Before selecting one, consider your budget, the style of your kitchen remodel, and how much effort you want to put into maintaining those countertops.
- Quartz: If you are more of the set-it-and-forget-it type, you will enjoy quartz countertops in your Alberta home. It is a more expensive alternative to granite, but has the same look and durability, without the same sealing requirements. It is hard, can handle heat well, and holds its glossy surface. It is also anti-microbial, which is helpful when working with raw foods. Once installed, there is no re-sealing, and clean-up is as simple as wiping up with mild soap and water.
- Stainless Steel: You know that stainless steel appliances are the “in” thing, but what about countertops? While the trend took a while, stainless steel is a hot trend for today’s kitchen because it is stain, heat, and cut resistant. If you want a very user-friendly countertop that requires no maintenance and still a budget-friendly installation cost, stainless steel could be the answer.
- Soapstone: Soapstone is natural, luxurious, and gorgeous on any kitchen counter. It is sleek, chic, and still traditional. It is durable and not affected by acids (i.e., wine, juice or vinegar). However, it requires frequent oil applications and buffing, and it is not scratch-resistant like quartz or stainless steel.
- Granite: Granite countertops in an Edmonton home are classic. They are beautiful, come in a variety of colours and styles, and quite durable. They do require sealing annually and are not as heat-resistant as quartz.
- Marble: You see marble countertops in Edmonton homes because they are timeless, beautiful, and add value to your home. If you do not mind the extra maintenance, they are well worth the investment. Just note that they stain easily, so be cautious with things like pomegranate, red wine, turmeric, and also acids.
- Laminate: Laminate countertops are still prevalent in Sherwood Park homes because they are durable, affordable, and today they look so close to natural stone that you would only know once you are up close that they are not. You can get laminate countertops that look like marble, granite, or other natural stone finishes.
Find Your New Laminate or Natural Stone Countertops in the Alberta Area
PF Custom Countertops is your go-to source for quality and variety in counters. When you are ready to replace the countertops in your kitchen, come to our showroom and browse through the selections. We have the popular kitchen options in stock for you to see, and we also offer custom countertops when you want something more personalized.
Contact us online or call us toll-free at 1-888-484-0831 to inquire about your laminate and natural stone countertop options in Sherwood Park, Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, St. Albert, and the Alberta area.