Maintaining a Laminate Countertop
The laminate countertop options in Edmonton are diverse and come in a variety of colours and styles. These days, these non-stone surfaces can resemble real stone and can be extremely durable; only as long as they are properly cared for. It is important to know how to clean, maintain and even remove stains so that you can have the look of high-end countertops without the cost.
HOW TO CLEAN A LAMINATE COUNTERTOP
Your countertops should be cleaned daily using a soft-material cloth. This helps remove dust and dirt and protects the finish. Avoid using harsh bleach cleansers or scouring agents as these can remove the shiny finish of the laminate. Instead, stick to an all-purpose cleaner and degreasing agent.
While not prone to staining, in the event that you do find that some staining occurs on your laminate countertop surface, the process for removing the stain is quite simple. For heavy stains, you can use a baking soda paste made from three parts baking soda and one part water. Spread the paste evenly over the stain and allow it to sit for at least five minutes. Then, wipe it away gently without scrubbing.
TIPS FOR MAINTAINING A LAMINATE SURFACE
Most homeowners assume that laminate does not last as long as other real stone countertops, but often this limited lifespan is due to poor maintenance. To keep your laminate countertops looking beautiful, follow these easy tips:
- Avoid dropping heavy items onto the surface. While laminate is durable, heavy objects can easily crack or damage the surface.
- Never use a cutting blade on the countertop surface as this can chip or scour the surface.
- When cleaning, avoid using heavy amounts of water on your countertops. While they are sealed, exposure to excess water can allow it to seep under the seams and create a bulging or deformed surface.
- Harsh chemicals should never be used on laminate, especially those containing lye or acidic elements.
- While heat-resistant, a laminate counter can become scorched or burned. Never place hot objects directly onto the surface of your counter; instead, use a hotplate or pad.
- When cleaning, you can use a soft short-bristled brush to loosen dirt or stains, but never use a scouring pad or steel wool to clean the counter.
PF Custom Countertops carries the largest selection of laminate countertops in Edmonton. Come to our showroom and see our extensive selection of colours, style and finishes that mimic real stone, but made from affordable, beautiful laminate. We carry Formica®, Wilsonart® and all of the major laminate brands in our lineup.
Call us toll-free at 888-484-0831 or contact us online to learn more about our laminate countertop products and all the options available for your kitchen.