How to Keep Your Quartz Countertops Looking Like New
Quartz countertops are prized for their great looks and low maintenance. However, just because you don’t have to baby them like you would a natural stone counter, you must still take a few steps to keep them looking great.
Can Quartz be Damaged?
While quartz countertops are almost indestructible, they can be damaged. And because it’s almost impossible to repair quartz on your own, it’s important to do everything you can to take care of it.
Luckily, the things that can damage quartz are the same that can damage almost any countertop material, so you’re probably already used to taking the necessary precautions. Here’s how to prevent damage:
• Don’t put heavy weight on it. Standing on your counter or putting heavy things on it can cause the quartz to crack.
• Wipe up spills as soon as possible. While quartz is non-porous and stain resistant, it can still be marred permanently if spills — especially those from dark substances — aren’t cleaned up quickly.
• Use a cutting board. Cutting directly on your kitchen counter doesn’t just put you at risk for contamination, it can also damage the finish on your quartz countertop.
• Protect it from high heat. Always use a trivet or hot pad when putting hot pots and pans as well as heat-producing appliances like slow cookers on the counter.
• Keep harsh chemicals away from it. Nail polish remover, oven cleaner, drain cleaner and bleach are just a few examples of substances that can damage the finish of your countertops.
How to Keep it Looking Perfect
Taking care of your Quartz countertops is easy. Here everything you need to know:
• Wash the counter daily with warm water and mild dish soap to keep it clean and sanitary. Be sure to rinse with water to avoid making the counter look dull or streaky.
• Scrape any dried up gunk using a blunt plastic scraper such as a putty knife.
• Remove stubborn stains from the surface using rubbing alcohol.
• Restore the shine to your quartz countertops using glass cleaner. Simply spray, let sit for a few seconds and wipe away.
Custom Quartz Countertops
Thinking about upgrading your kitchen and want a countertop material that’s easy to care for and looks great? Quartz is the way to go. PF Custom Countertops offers a wide range of countertops from top companies such as Corian and Caesarstone. Contact us today and see why our countertops are in thousands of homes around Edmonton and the rest of Alberta.