Choosing the Perfect Kitchen Countertop Surface
Factors to Consider When Selecting Kitchen Countertops
There are several factors to consider before deciding what counters are right for your home.
- Knives – If you prefer to prepare food and cut directly on your countertops (although this could dull your knife), be sure to select a material that is resistant to scratches and won’t be damaged by knives, like a quartz countertop for example.
- Spills – If you or your family members are prone to spills or splashes from the sink, be sure to choose a counter that is easy to clean and will not be penetrated or damaged by liquids, like quartz, laminate or solid surface countertops for example.
- Heat – Some countertops can withstand the high temperatures of pots, pans or other cooking appliances. If you cook often, consider a countertop material that is heat resistant, like granite countertops for example. However, we always recommend using a cutting board and a trivet for hotpots.
- Cost – Prices on countertops can vary depending on the material itself and how easy it is to install.
Countertop Materials to Consider
Once you have considered the factors above and understand what your needs are, you can begin determining which material is best suited for your new kitchen countertop. Here are some of the pros and cons of each when being used in the kitchen:
- Granite – Granite is a good, low-maintenance option that resists stains. However, the surface will need to be resealed periodically.
- Solid Surface – These counters can provide a wide variety of finishes and are low-maintenance. Depending on the style, these counters can be more expensive than other options however, can be easily customized to suit your unique tastes.
- Laminate – Laminate is an inexpensive option that has been updated to look more modern. It can resist heat and stains, but will be damaged by knives, so a cutting board is necessary.
- Quartz – Quartz requires little maintenance and can handle heat and scratches. The edges may be vulnerable to chipping and require a professional for repairs.
- Marble – Marble is strong as well as beautiful, and is resistant to cracks. This stone is porous though, so spills, cooking and entertaining will have to be handled with care. Marble countertops may also be damaged by exposure to heat.
Ready to refresh your kitchen? Let us help you choose your kitchen countertops in Edmonton. At PF Custom Countertops, we can help you find the perfect counters for your lifestyle and budget.
We have a huge selection of granite, quartz, solid surface and natural stone countertops to suit your home. Count on professional installation and beautiful results. Call us toll-free at 888-484-0831 to inquire about kitchen countertops in Edmonton or contact us online with your countertop maintenance questions.